Friday, December 07, 2007

Y'all Think I'm Kiddin'?

Here are some posts from a (mostly football) thread on The Old Coach about dealing with parents.

Some sound too nutty to be true, but since I once had a freshman's mom tell me her daughter should get a letter jacket in the middle of the season, I guess anything's possible.

We had a young lady a few years back that was selected MVP in girls basketball. Another mother from our school wanted our supt. to call the other supts and get it changed because she felt like her daughter should be MVP and she was crying that the race card led the other coaches to vote for the white girl.

Had a momma come to me after a game and wanted to know why the JV picture was not in the game program. Instead the person who takes care of all that stuff had put the freshmen picture insted of the JV. I lost it.

Had one upset that I was not promoting his kid enough to draw any intrest from any D-1 schools. Kid was a Freshman.

Had parent go to the sup and board members to complain about:

1. Their child was not selected to the all-state team.
2. My father passed away, the first game back after his funeral was with a distict rival. Players from opposing team gave me flowers. On the bus after the game, I put them in the trash. A player told a parent so the parent goes to the s.b.
3. School board member upset that I did not stay around all summer coaching the kids!


Had a parent complain that the freshmen were not in the varsity football picture. There were some sophmores in the pic (because they were on varsity). Anyway, because of a pansy admin. we had to take the varsity picture with the freshman, JV, and Varsity all together. All to make her son feel special.

Had a freshman B team parent complain about the size of the font on the B team roster. The A team had a bigger font. She also complained that the cheerleaders didn't go to B team games but they did go to the A team games. She finished up by complaining about playing time by saying "I know my son is crappy, but so is everyone else on that team so they should all play the same amount." She did not put her cigarette down at any point to make these complaints.

Had a parent complain during a 8th grade football game about how much time his kid was getting to play.Well, this what I wanted to say. If your kid would stay out of trouble in the school building he might get to play a little. Heck, the kid missed a football game because he had to serve in the After school program from 3:30 to 5:45. Idiots, plan and simple.

Had a parent call me to complain about why his Sr. daughter did not start in a State Semi-Final game in front of a Soph. His daughter had not started all year and quite honestly did not want to play anyway. He (the parent) was on the school board and wanted me to fire the head coach after the State Championship (we lost by 2).

Had a mexican dad with watery eyes....been drinking a little,,,come in upset his son wasn't playing on the A team anymore. We decided he needed to be dropped down to the B as a punishment and it would sort of embarass the kid. It worked, but dad wasnt happy with it and said we were picking on his kid. Turns out we let the kid go before the end of the season for some other things. Dad is really pissed now and says hes going to the school board cause we are just picking on his kid and his kid is a model child. Well, about a week ago kid is taken out in handcuffs because apparently hes been heading up some gang and picking on kids. Guess we were wrong for cutting him. Probably our fault he headed up a gang. At least thats what his dad thinks Im sure. So naive.

Had parent come up to the DC after a playoff game, while everyone was still on the field. He got in the DC's face and was ranting about how it was his fault that they lost the game. The guy was so drunk he didn't even know that they had WON the game.

Had a mama come to the school and ask:
"Why you be flunking Corey?"
I told her that he was not doing his work and he had been sleeping in class.
To that she replied:
"Uh huh. and he say that you been waking him up too. He be tired!"

Also had a parent complain once that we were picking on their kid because we kept waking him up in class. They said that we couldn't make him do anything he didn't want to and that we had better lay off him before we made him mad and something bad happened.

Had a parent schedule a conference because the sidelines did not hit a knee when a player was injured. He told me it was a UIL and NCAA rule...15 yard penalty.

I was once accused by a hispanic parent of being prejudiced because I benched her son. It was lost on her that I replaced her son with another hispanic player.

Had one complain that we were playing her sone TOO MUCH. HE was a stud RB/ DB.. he was getting too tired.

We had a kid hurt his shoulder in the second to last game of the year. The player couldn't practice all week because of the shoulder. He was a senior, so we let him suit up for the last game (senior night). After the game he and a parent (not even his own) were causing a big scene and saying how we were idiots,and the coaches didn't like him and that's why he didn't play the last game. They were screaming about getting screwed and ruining his senior year. They told the supt. that I didn't like him and that's why he never carried the ball. (He was second in carries the last two seasons).

Had a parent complain the other day because I woke her son up when the tardy bell rang. I was subbing for a class, they were watching a movie, and he slept throughout most of it. She said I embarrassed him.

Parent came to my house complaining about son not playing. Standing in my yard cussing and yelling telling me I don't like hispanics, I'm racist against hispanics and what do I have against hispanics. My wife hears all this and walks out and says to me....honey, the tamales are ready...you want some. (my wife is hispanic) The look on his face was priceless!

A parent comes up to one of our coaches after a basketball game that we lost. The parent asks if he knows anything about coaching basketball. The coach responds... No, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. Now that was funny!!!!

No comments: