Friday, April 01, 2011

Duncan Training for 2012?

San Antonio Spurs big man Tim Duncan has announced he'll retire from basketball at the end of the 2011 season.

As Duncan's NBA career winds down, he's expected to resurrect his swimming career in preparation for London 2012.

"You know what they say," said the seven-footer, "when one door closes, another opens."

Duncan is expected to shoot for a spot on the U.S. Virgin Islands squad in both the 50m and 100m freestyle events. His older sister, Tricia, competed in the 1988 Seoul Games in both the 100m and 200m backstrokes.

Duncan hinted at a swimming "comeback" in an Express-News interview last year.

"I always loved swimming," he said, "and I still get in the water as much as possible. I'd like to get into some serious training, just to see what I could do. I've always wondered how far I could have gone in the sport had I not gotten into basketball."

With just a year to prep, Duncan admits he may lack the endurance for the longer race.

"The 100 free is definitely a long shot, but I think I'd have a pretty good shot at the 50."

Read more here.

No comments: